Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Watercolor Paper Embossed Background

Today's Lesson From The Craft Room:  I Get In My Own Way
It's easy to place the blame in so many different places.  To say that the reason we don't create is because we are too busy, or have to cook dinner, or have to work, or have to ______ (fill in the blank).  Well, today I realized another huge reason - the reason I don't create is because of me.  Today (I'm writing this on Monday) I had a day that was wide open.  I had one conference call that I needed to be on and then my list of responsibilities was pretty empty.  So today was the perfect day for me to sit and create.  I did some creating - I worked on painting layers of paint on wooden and chipboard pieces to use on my can projects.  And then I found myself getting up from the craft table and wandering around - checking email, looking at my blog to see if anyone else had looked at it, walking into the kitchen to grab yet another snack.  You name it, I was finding ways to distract myself and here I had a whole day open to my creativity.  So now the big question is why?  Why am I getting in my own way?  Am I afraid to spend a whole day creating?  Am I afraid I'm going to like it too much and not want to do anything else?  Or am I afraid that it won't be all that I believe it can be - that the ideas will not flow or the results won't be what I want?  Maybe it's a combination of both.  The bottom line is I am responsible for my time and what I do with it.  I can get in my way or I can get out of my way and create - the choice is mine.
I got out of my way a bit to create this card.  I began with a piece of watercolor paper and used the direct to paper technique to apply a layer of Certainly Celery ink and then a layer of Tempting Turquoise ink right over it.  Then I ran the piece through the Big Shot with the Vintage Wallpaper embossing folder.  I then did direct to paper again with River Rock ink to bring out the textured pattern.  Next I used my finger to rub Champagne Shimmer Mist paint over the raised areas of the design - this card has great shimmer in person!  The piece was then adhered to a piece of Whisper White card stock and then adhered to the River Rock card base using glue.  I die cut two butterflies using the Beautiful Wings embosslit and Crumb Cake card stock.  I sponged them with River Rock ink and then applied some Champagne Shimmer paint using my finger.  I then punched a piece of River Rock card stock with the decorative label punch and stamped the piece with the birthday greeting from Sincere Salutations using Early Espresso ink.  The edges were then sponged with River Rock ink.  I then applied three pearls and dabbed them lightly with the paint as well.  The butterflies were attached to the label using glue and the label was attached to the card using dimensionals.  I hope you like it!

No comments: