Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Altered Picture Frame

Today's Lesson From The Craft Room:  Alter Something :)
My plan was to create a picture frame, from scratch, for my cousin's 50th birthday that will be celebrated in Atlanta over Thanksgiving.  I had come up with numerous ideas for how to do the altering and how to add numbers to a plain wooden frame.  I had even thought about doing a bunch of woodburning and attaching of metal bits and pieces.  When I went out shopping for the frame I came across this weathered/distressed looking one (the base frame you see pictured above) and all of a sudden my direction changed!  The images I had in my mind for what I was going to create began to alter as I stared at the frame and my intuition told me that this was the one.  I then found the numbers - they came in very large and medium sizes and I was drawn to the medium ones.  The wooden letter "tags" had attracted my attention on a shopping outing about 2 weeks ago.  At the time I wasn't sure what I was going to do with them, but they were inexpensive and seemed to call out to me.  Little did I know that they knew what was in store for them :)  I brought the items home and started painting the wood numbers and letters with fluid acrylic paint (Quinacridone Nickel Azo Gold - gorgeous color!).  I then adhered them to the frame with matte medium and added some upholstery tacks to the letter tags.  I then decided I needed some numbers and these adhesive plastic clock face numbers were just the right size and shape!  Sometimes altering something can be as fun as starting from scratch! :)  (p.s. I hope you are okay with stopping by my blog and seeing something every once in awhile that may not have been made using Stampin' Up! products.  I find that I need to step out of the Stampin' Up! box every once in awhile or at least combine Stampin' Up! products with other art supplies to go on my creative journeys in art making :)  I hope you enjoy seeing these other projects - I really enjoy making them and I equally enjoy sharing them with you in the hopes they will stimulate your creativity in new and exciting ways!).

No comments: