Friday, December 30, 2011

Saying Farewell To 2011

I'm sorry if you arrived here expecting a traditional Four Ways Friday post.  I feel it's necessary to somehow mark the end of the year - the conclusion of 2011.  To stay with the Four Ways theme, today's post is about Four Ways to bid farewell to 2011.

1.  Reflect:  As this year draws to a close, it is a perfect time to reflect back on where it began.  As I stamped my 2012 calendar I realized that my 2011 calendar could be put to good use.  I am going to take some time prior to midnight on Saturday to reflect back on each month and do a bit of journaling.  I am going to take those 4 3/4" x 4 3/4" calendar months and write on the back of them - things I was grateful for that month; significant events in my life; lessons learned.  I keep a daily gratitude journal so I will be able to look back at my daily entries to reflect on those moments that stand out and write them on the calendar months.  One way to bid farewell is to reminisce about what you have experienced.

2.  Bid Farewell With Gratitude:  If you are reading this post, you have been given the gift of being alive for the year 2011.  You have been able to breathe every day - breathe in and breathe out.  You have experienced the gift of life - with all of its ups, downs, sideways and reverses!  Be grateful.  What an amazing gift it is!

3.  Bid Farewell Surrounded By Those You Love:  Whether you sit on the couch, find yourself in a large crowd, or experience your own personal ritual ringing in the New Year, surround yourself with those you love.  For some of us, we will actually physically be with those we love.  For others of us, we will need to connect with them via phone or on-line chat, or email.  Most of us also surround ourselves with those we love by turning our attention, our thoughts, to them - whether they are still with us or have passed.  Surrounding ourselves with those we love makes us appreciate the opportunity to live this life with love.

4.  Welcome 2012 And All Its Possibilities With Open Arms!  I drink tea by a company called Yogi and on each of their teabags there is a message.  The one I opened tonight had this to say "When you are in tune with the unknown, the known is peaceful."  This seems very apt as we see the wide open unknown of the year ahead.  Know that you don't know what lies ahead in the coming year - it is a mystery.  If you can be in tune with the unknown - if you can accept it is unwritten, that it will unfold as it will - then the now - the moment that you are in at this very time - is a place of peace.  What a perfect way to bid farewell to 2011 - to bid farewell from a place of peace.

I wish you and your loved ones a 2012 filled with infinite possibilities.  May you find peace in all of your moments!  Thank you for sharing moments of your 2011 with me - it has been an honor.  I hope to see you again in 2012! :)

No comments: