Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Hand Carved Face Stamp

Today's Lesson From The Craft Room:  Set Your Mind To It And Go Do It!
While eating my breakfast yesterday I began to watch a video on YouTube by Suzi Dennis that began with her sharing an art journal page with an image of a stamped face.  She then showed the stamp she had hand carved to create the face.  That's when I stopped the video.  I had just finished my breakfast and I thought to myself, "I can carve a face stamp!"  So off I went into the craft room!  I already had a face in mind.  I had actually taken a picture of my tv screen when I was watching a commercial and the sweetest face appeared on the screen.  The child's eyes were so big and beautiful and I captured the image on my camera thinking that I would try to draw that beautiful face one day.  Little did I know that face would become a stamp.  So I looked at the face and drew out a sketch of what I saw.  I then transferred the image onto Speedball Speedy Cut material and carved the stamp using a carving tool (that you see in the photo).  I was patient - recognizing that if I took my time I might create something that I could use over and over again for years to come.  If you told me yesterday that I would make a face stamp that I was proud of I would have laughed at you in disbelief.  As I am writing this and looking at the stamp I created I am reminded what can happen when you set your mind to something and just go and do it!  You will definitely be seeing this face in some upcoming artwork! :)

1 comment:

Asiwriteibreathe said...

How so cool Michelle.
Love the idea and the motivation too. Kindly, Peggy