Sunday, December 06, 2009

Stamped Coasters


Today's Lesson From The Craft Room:  Use Your Words For A Kind Purpose

I remember a story that was once told to me by a rabbi.  It went something like this:  There was a man who spoke badly about another person in his town.  In reflecting on his gossiping he decided that he wanted to see if there was anything he could do to repair his wrong.  So the man went to the head rabbi in the town and asked what he should do.  The rabbi told him to go and find a feather pillow and to come back once he had the pillow.  The man went and got the pillow and returned to the rabbi.  The rabbi then said, "Do you see that high mountain over there?  Go and climb to the top of that mountain and when you get to the top you need to cut open the pillow and shake all of the feathers out.  Once you have done that, return to me with the empty pillowcase."  The man agreed and went out and climbed the mountain and followed the rabbi's instructions.  He returned to the rabbi with the empty pillow case and the rabbi said, "Now I want you to go and retrieve all of the feathers that you have scattered far and wide.  For when we speak gossip it is as if we have scattered feathers across the land and our ability to repair what we have done is like trying to pick up all of those scattered feathers."  I hope that I can remember this whenever I am tempted to gossip about someone or say harsh words.  I hope I can remember to use my words for a more noble purpose.  I wish the same for you :)

No comments: