Monday, January 10, 2011

3-D Flowers!

Today's Lesson From The Craft Room:  It's The Act Of Creation, Not The Amount, That Counts
I have been sick for a number of days now and so I have found myself sitting in the craft room - sniffling, drinking tea, and making 3-D flowers!  It's been wonderful therapy although I must admit that at the end of a day I look around at the few flowers I have created and I have thought to myself, "Really?!  You just spent an entire day here in the craft room and all you have to show for it are five 3-D flowers?!"  I knew there had to be a lesson in that thought and as I stared at those flowers today I realized that it's not the amount or the number of items I have created that determine whether my day was spent in a meaningful way - it is the enjoyment and satisfaction I feel by bringing another creation into this world - a creation that adorns the world in a beautiful way.  Have you heard that song in the show/movie "Rent?"  It is called Seasons Of Love and the question the song tries to answer is how do you measure a year in a life?  I believe one of my measures for a year in my life is how much time I spend expressing the creativity that has been given to me as a gift and sharing that love with others.  What about you?
I've been enjoying die cutting flowers using whatever Sizzix flower dies I have.  I then spray the card stock lightly with water and begin scrunching or curling the petals around a skewer.  Then comes the smooch spritz and water and ink mixtures in spray bottles.  Of course, I never have the patience to let them dry on their own - I bring out the heat tool to help them along :)  I hope you enjoy this flower...I have a feeling you'll be seeing a few more this week :)

No comments: