Monday, May 30, 2011

Medallion & Nature Walk Gesso Background

Today's Lesson From The Craft Room:  Don't Throw Worms
I was talking to a friend the other day about a woman she has been friends with since she was small.  That was over 30 years ago and the friendship has devolved to a place where it no longer feels supportive or nurturing.  I asked my friend what had changed and she started to recount a tale from when she was young and this friend used to throw worms at her.  This was 30 years ago and it was as real today as it ever was.  My friend had asked the girl to not throw the worms and the girl didn't listen - she thought it was funny to watch my friend scream and cower at the worms.  And here we are 30 years later and the memory is just as real and the nature of the friendship never really did change.  Back then it was about not begin supportive and causing pain to someone close.  Today it seems the same.  The benefit is that now my friend is able to see this relationship for what it is and make choices about letting go of a relationship that is harmful to her.  What is in our past has happened.  Today is the present - the gift of new choices that support and treasure who we are.  What choices can you make for yourself today?
Today's card is what I'm calling an exploration :)  I have been playing with more art supplies and figuring out how to incorporate them into my cards.  This card uses gesso, iridescent medium (champagne shimmer paint creates a similar effect), ink, stamps, smooch ink and more!  The background has many layers - stamp, then gesso, then sponge with ink, then gesso, then dry brush, then spray, then stamp - you get the picture - a bunch of playing and experimentation.  I guess in making the card I am living the life I've imagined - the life of an artist - free to explore and experiment as I try to express myself.  I have a feeling more experimentation is on the way! :)

No comments: