Thursday, October 27, 2011

Butterfly Sign...In Progress!

Today's Lesson From The Craft Room:  We Are All Works In Progress!
I don't know why I've had an aversion in the past to showing you works in progress and why I have felt the need to always share completed projects.  Do you know why that is?  Do you come here expecting to see something in its completed state?  I realize that just showing you completed projects and videos of completed projects doesn't really share the truth of my creative process.  I have a lot of "ongoing pieces" in my craft room.  Some wait for days...or months...or, yes, years...waiting for my return to move them forward.  I am very much like these projects - a work in progress.  I am never completed - I am always changing, building up, taking away.  We are all works in progress - just like our art.  So today I'm going to show you a work in progress and we can enjoy the journey together (and yes, I promise to share how this piece transforms...whether that be a day from now, a month from now....or maybe even a year!).
Today's piece started out much like my "create art" sign.  I began with die cutting chipboard - time time using the Bigz Beautiful Butterflies die and the Simple Alphabet dies.  I then adhered the pieces to the base using glue.  This time I decided to start adhering metal tape from the home improvement store and adding a bit of sequin waste that I adhered with matte medium.  I want to thank RachO113 on YouTube for this inspiration.  If you haven't watched any of her videos and want to be absolutely inspired, you need to go and watch her at work with her art in her videos - she is truly amazing to watch!  Thank you Rachel for the inspiration!  Here are a few pictures of the process unfolding:

Next I finished covering the sign with the metal tape and then used my embossing tool to outline all of the raised areas - the letters, the butterfly, and the sequin waste.  Finally, I used some metal working tools to add some texture and distressing.  The tape is quite soft, so you can add texture with everyday items you have lying around the house or in your craft space.
Here is the piece in its "raw" form.  I have begun to add color to the piece using some non-SU! products and I also have an idea about how I want to keep moving forward with it.  For now, I will leave you and your imagination with this piece as it is in this picture...in the hopes that it will inspire you to take the process in your own direction.  And, I will continue to work the piece and share it with you as it evolves!  I hope we can enjoy this journey together :)

No comments: