Thursday, August 29, 2013

Embossed Clay Wedding Cake Card

Today's Lesson From The Craft Room:  Don't wait.  It may be days, weeks, or even months before you can set aside a long block of uninterrupted time for creativity, so don't put off your art-making waiting for one.  - Jenny Doh interviewing Karen Michel in the book Art Saves
This is one of those lessons I really need to pay attention to.  I frequently tell myself that I could be much more creative if I only had a week, a month or a year free and clear to create art.  All this does is discourage me from taking the moments that I do have and putting them to good art-making use!!!!  So now I am working on using what I have - whether it is 5 minutes, a few hours or a few days!  I am becoming more comfortable with "works in progress" - willing to start a project, walk away, and then continue to come back to it.  The Wabi-Sabi Workshop book that I am still enjoying has helped a lot because quite a few of the techniques involve glazing liquid.  If you don't allow enough drying time and try to march ahead to the next layer, you end up with mud!  So I am learning patience and putting my 5 minutes of art-making time to good use!
Today's card was inspired by some pieces of Simply Pressed clay that I embossed.  They were sitting on my craft table and all of a sudden they looked like wedding cake to me!  It is so easy to cut dried pieces/sheets of Simply Pressed clay so I just turned the pieces over, drew a shape in pencil on the back of the clay pieces and cut the pieces out with my paper snips!  So simple!  Making the cake was a lot of fun!  Adding some molded clay flowers and leaves made the cake even more elegant.  Hmmm, I better end this post, I'm staring to salivate!!!!! :)  The cake stand was paper-pieced with hand cut and altered punched brushed silver card stock.  The sentiment is from Petite Pairs.  I hope you like it!

No comments: