Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Faux Suede


Today's Lesson From The Craft Room:  Nest
 
noun:  a person's snug or secluded retreat or shelter.  verb:  use or build a nest.

It's snowing here in Colorado today and my desire to nest is as strong as ever.  I have been on a week-long cleaning journey in the craft room - trying to create my nest - that place that feels secluded - the place that can be my creative shelter.  It sounds quite romantic, doesn't it?  I have to admit that most of my nest is storage for all my nesting material :)  But getting it organized and put away in a way that makes me feel comforted, rather than crazed, is an important priority for me right now.  How is your nesting instinct?  What makes you feel comforted and calm?

Today's sketch challenge called out to me for simplicity.  I went with a monotone look and pulled out the hole punch to make random holes as decorative accents.  I used the bone folder to break down the fibers in both the circle and one of the rectangular pieces.  When you break the paper fibers down enough, you can peel the paper layers apart to reveal a faux suede look.  I added the large grommet to the faux suede flower and topped everything off with one of my favorite stamps of all time!  Hope you like it!

1 comment:

jovialjudi said...

Just found your blog and love it! Will be adding you to my list I frequent. Thanks for sharing! I plan on starting my own blog sometime over the holidays. Hugs to you. :-)