Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Collage Birthday - Friends 24-7

Today's Lesson From The Craft Room:  We All React In Our Own Ways

It has been a challenging 24 hours for me.  What I do know is that we each react to difficult situations in our own ways.  I tend to get emotional - I hold back the tears and finally they break through and the world feels like it is caving in on me.  I know others who go inside - shut down - or just need to get away.  We all have our own ways - our own coping mechanisms.  I believe we need to respect that in one another and I know that can be challenging.  Just remember, we are each trying to get through the emotional situation in the way that seems to work best for us and those ways might just be different.  I feel very grateful that I have someone to reach out to when I am feeling so small - I begin to breathe easier just at the sound of my mother's voice.  At times like these I know that all she wants is for her baby to be okay and it is in that love that I find comfort.  Thank you mom!  Thank you all for your kind thoughts and prayers for our beautiful kitty cat.  She has been recovering from her surgery and we will know more as the tests begin to come back.  For now I wish her a recovery filled with comfort and healing.

Today's card began with a gesso background.  I didn't let the paint dry, instead, while it was still wet, I rolled my Vintage wheel through the wet paint (and then washed the wheel with a toothbrush to clean up the gesso)!  After it dried I began sponging and rubbing different ink colors onto the gesso.  I then rolled the wheel again with Night of Navy ink.  A spritz of alcohol with shimmer paint was also applied (this needs to be done from a bit of a distance or the alcohol will make the ink too wet).  The scallop oval die cut was run through the polka dot embossing folder and then cut to fit the card.  The bird was colored with Old Olive, Not Quite Navy and Chocolate Chip markers and then stamped onto Very Vanilla and cut out with my hobby knife.  I added some dazzling diamonds to the bird (he looks quite sparkly in person!).  A combination of the Lovely Letter and Rough Type alphabets were used for the word "Happy" and "Birthday" was taken from a stamp in the Sincere Salutations stamp set.  For the "H" in "happy," I colored the letter with 3 different markers for a variegated look (Elegant Eggplant, Not Quite Navy and Old Olive).  I used my 1" square punch and 3/4" circle punch to punch the letters and then sponged the edges with Soft Suede.  I rubbed my Sahara Sand ink pad (direct to paper) over a crumpled piece of Sahara Sand card stock and tore the edges.  It fit nicely beneath the bird.  Finally, I added a bit of Basic Gray satin ribbon and two buttons.  I hope you like it!

No comments: