Wednesday, December 22, 2010

2011 CD Calendar

Today's Lesson From The Craft Room:  To Require Perfection Is To Invite Paralysis
Today's lesson comes from the book Art & Fear by David Bayles & Ted Orlando (I highly recommend it!).  When making a handcrafted project, it can be easy to fall into the trap of trying to be "perfect."  Trying to make your work look like it was created by a finely adjusted technological marvel that can apply ink evenly to every spot on a rubber stamp and can apply even and consistent pressure to make the exact impression every time....let alone come up with the perfect, harmonious design elements that elicit ooh's and ahh's from anyone who views the final project!  Well, I don't know about you, but whenever I start trying to achieve anything close to "perfection," I find myself stiffening up, stamping like a whirling dervish with vertigo and, at the worst, walking out of the craft room altogether, totally deflated!  It's time to recognize that requiring perfection from ourselves in inviting paralysis.  If, instead, we can approach our craft with a heart filled with love and a playful spirit, no matter what we create, we will grow and change in the process.  I wish you many moments of playfulness as you create!!!!
Today's project is my yearly calendar.  This year I decided to do a CD case calendar.  I created the template for the months in Pages on my Mac and then printed them off onto Whisper White card stock cut to 4 3/4" x 4 3/4".  This is the perfect size to slide into the opened CD case.  I used current Stampin' Up! stamp sets to stamp all of the months.  Once I stamp all of the months, I wrap them together in this card stock holder that can sit on the back of the CD case once it is opened on a desk/tabletop.
I will share half of the year with you today and the other half tomorrow! :)
Don't forget that you can use hearts to make great shamrocks for St. Patrick's Day!  Try it freehand, or use your stamp-a-ma-jig if you want to be a bit more precise (but watch out for trying to be perfect!).  I drew the stems freehand.

No comments: