Thursday, July 07, 2011

One Stamp Wonder Thank You Card

Today's Lesson From The Craft Room:  Just Try It - You May Surprise Yourself!
I remember when my dad got his first computer and I decided I needed to give it a try.  I had no idea what I was doing, but somewhere I saw the command "init" in the book that came with the computer and I decided that would be a fun one to try.  As I just said, I had no idea what I was doing so I entered that command and hit "enter."  Well, what I did without intending to was initialize the disk that was in the drive - ie I wiped out everything that was on it.  Oops!  I didn't make anyone happy that day, but what I did do was get over my fear of computers.  I figured that as long as I didn't enter "init" there really wasn't anything I could do that could get me into big trouble!  It can be very rewarding to approach life in the craft room this same way - to realize that there really isn't a ton of damage you can cause and that if you just give things a try you may just surprise yourself!  Today, without any prior experience with free-motion embroidery, I decided to give it a shot.  No, I didn't create a masterpiece, but I did surprise myself!  I actually started to see what it was like to treat your needle like a writing instrument and began to enjoy the process (even if the product needs a lot more practice!).  So go ahead, whatever it is you've been longing to do in the craft room, just try it!   You may surprise yourself!
I decided to share a One Stamp Wonder card with you today.  The only true stamp I used was from the Thank You Kindly stamp set.  The other areas were created by masking and sponging; inking the edge of an expired gift card and running it across the card stock; and inking up a pencil eraser and using it as a circle stamp.  I did add a touch of sewing on the machine to add some texture, but it really isn't necessary when making this card.  Just the simple designs are enough.  I hope you like it!

No comments: