Thursday, August 25, 2011

Short & Sweet Best Wishes Card

Today's Lesson From The Craft Room:  How Easily Is Our Attention Diverted?
I remember that as a child I had the ability to sit and play or read for hours.  I remember coloring those geometric patterns in my Altair Design coloring books for long periods at a time (did you color in those coloring books?).  Today, the ability to approach things with that type of focus is what I crave.  It seems that the slightest thought or distraction can totally set me off in a new direction - I might be reading and then I see a reference to another book or author and I am immediately up and out of my chair, headed for the computer, to go and look up the reference.  Or I will start to tell a story to a friend as we walk toward the park and their attention will be grabbed by a person up the street and we will never come back to my story.  So I'm sensing I'm not the only one suffering from this condition - I won't call it attention deficit disorder - although the name seems to fit.  Where has our ability to provide our undivided attention to our tasks or to others gone?  I miss it.  I feel more scattered these days - like I am a bouncing ball who never comes to a state of rest.  I appreciate the craft room as one of those places where, if I am protective and vigilant, I can allow myself to remain in a state of focused attention.  (It's so funny - as I was typing my last sentence, my attention was just taken away by the finish of Stage 2 of the US Pro Cycling Challenge on tv and Willow meowing at the top of her lungs :)  A reminder that I still have some work to do on focusing my attention :)
Today's card began with a Melon Mambo card base that I ran through the Big Shot with the Tulip Frame embossing folder.  I then stamped the floral image from Tiny Tags at half strength using Chocolate Chip ink.  I then took a piece of Confetti card stock and scored it in half and then 3/4" from one end.  I tore the end of the scored 3/4" piece and used a piece of twine to hold this little "pocket" together.  I stamped the pocket with the floral image from Tiny Tags using River Rock ink and then stamped the other decorative image using Melon Mambo.  An adhesive pearl adds a bit of elegance.  Finally, I created a small River Rock insert for the "pocket" and stamped the top with a greeting from Short & Sweet with Chocolate Chip ink.  The pocket was then adhered to the front of the card using dimensionals.  I hope you like it!

1 comment:

Lorraine said...

It is sweet. Clever little pocket there. I had an Altair coloring book and loved using bright markers to color them. Not so sure I'd got with that at this stage of the game. I find repetitive things help to keep me focused, like weeding or zentangling, but you're right about easily being distracted.

(I got a real word for verification - "GRANTED" - wonder if that means something? Maybe I should make a wish that this hurricane goes out to sea!)