Thursday, September 15, 2011

Fused Fiber Always Birthday Card

Today's Lesson From The Craft Room:  Sometimes You Need To Push The Flight Attendant Call Button
I have to warn you - today I'm going to vent a bit.  I travel on planes quite a bit for work and I have become increasingly frustrated by passengers that don't follow the instructions given by the flight crew.  One of the things that really irks me is when people do not turn off their electronic devices after being instructed to do so 1, 2 or even 3 times!  I know there are conflicting reports out there about how much interference the devices can actually cause on take-off and landing...and, I must say, I don't want the flight that I am on to be the test case for whether or not a cell phone, or combination of numerous cell phones, can interfere enough with airplane communication systems to cause issues.  Nor do I appreciate other passengers making that decision for me when they are told to turn off their devices.  On one of my small flights the other day I watched as the woman across the aisle from me turned her cell phone back on as we were just about to go down the runway for take-off.  It was too late to get the flight attendant to do something before take off, but on our approach for landing, when the woman turned her phone back on and starting tapping away on the keypad, I turned to her and reminded her that electronic devices needed to be turned off for landing.  She replied, "It's in airplane mode."  I responded that based on the regulation if it had an on/off switch it needed to be turned off.  She ignored me and kept typing away so I pushed my flight attendant call button (much to her surprise!).  The flight attendant arrived immediately and instructed the woman to turn off her phone.  Sometimes you just need to push the flight attendant call button...and stick up for your own safety as well.  Until the regulation changes, I have a feeling I might push that button a number more times - at least if my experience of people around me not turning off their devices continues to happen.  Thanks for sticking with me while I vented :)  I appreciate it :)  You can push your flight attendant call button if you want to turn my venting off :)
Today's card was an experiment I did with fusing fibers (and glitter and other scraps) and I'm really happy with how it turned out!  I'm going to try to put together a video on how I did it (after I try to recreate how I did it!).  I combined the background with some stamping from the Always stamp set and the Sincere Salutations stamp set.  Pear Pizazz and Marina Mist are the predominant colors.  Here's a close up of the fused fiber background - I hope you like it!

1 comment:

Lorraine said...

I do like it. Don't laugh, but I've been saving some dryer lint from two new beach towels, wondering what I could do with it because it's so pretty and soft. (It's the color of your bird here.) I love textural cards. You have created a lovely background for those images. (Oh, and sometimes you need to vent! Good for you for pushing that button.)