Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Nature Walk & Fabulous Phrases Muslin Bookmark

Today's Lesson From The Craft Room:  You Don't Have To Know What You Are Doing!
As I was making this bookmark - particularly when it came time for sewing on the beads, I kept thinking to myself, "I have no idea what I'm doing!  I really don't know how to hand-sew, let alone sew on beads!"  My next thought, however, kept me going..."Who cares!  Just keep sewing and see what happens!"  And I did.  I'm not sure where I came to believe that unless I knew how to do something I shouldn't even bother trying - after all, how am I going to learn anything if I don't just try?  I know that there are some activities that might benefit from a little learning at the outset - I don't think I'd jump into the cockpit of an airplane and just give it a whirl if I didn't have a bit of a clue as to what I needed to do :)  However, most of the things I encounter in the craft room don't have the potential to crash and burn! :)  So just do it!  You don't have to know what you are doing!!!!!
Today's inspiration was my laundry :)  I'm serious!  I took my one-millionth dryer sheet out of the dryer and thought to myself, "there's gotta be something I can do with this as opposed to just throwing it away!"  I had also recently looked at the cover of the Jul/Aug/Sept 2011 issue of Somerset Life which featured Pillows & Pouches by Becky Shander that incorporated dryer sheets!  Off to the craft room I went!!!!  I began by die cutting a dryer sheet and a piece of muslin with the clear Circle die.  I then machine sewed them together using gold metallic thread.  I left an opening so that I could put in some small pieces of lace and some Confetti card stock stamped with words from the Fabulous Phrases stamp set.  I stamped the words using Marina Mist ink and sponged the edges before added them to the pouch.  I then finished machine sewing the pouch closed.  Next I stamped the bird from Nature Walk using Basic Black ink onto Sahara Sand card stock.  I cut him out and then covered him with versamark and clear embossing powder and heat embossed.  I did this step about 3 times.  I then, with a bit of pushing, sewed him onto the circle with the gold metallic thread (I should have used another foot on my sewing machine - it didn't like the thickness of the bird).  I made small cuts around the edge of the circle just to fray the edge a bit.  Next I tore a piece of muslin and then sewed a piece of Marina Mist seam binding to it using gold metallic thread.  I added a bit more stitching on the edges for embellishment and then sewed the circle to the bookmark in two places.  Finally, I got out a needle with the gold metallic thread and did some hand-sewing for the gold beads.  I hope you like it!  Remember, you don't have to know what you're doing :)

No comments: