Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Notably Ornate Kissing Technique

Today's Question From The Craft Room:  What Do We Allow Ourselves To Get Annoyed At?
My day began on a bit of an odd note - I allowed myself to get annoyed and then, it seemed, all I could focus on was the annoyance I heard around me.  My annoyance began with contacting Amazon regarding a recent book purchase from one of their sellers.  When the book arrived it had library markings on it (not disclosed in the listing) so I contacted the library named on the book plate and, it turns out, the book had been checked out 2 years ago and never returned.  In my mind, the book was therefore not in my legal possession - even if the last seller was totally unaware of the book not ever making it back to the library.  So, I contacted the on-line help at Amazon...and needless to say it was a very frustrating experience - both in terms of time and because it appeared the person did not understand what I was typing in my chat messages.  I have never cared whether or not English was someone's first, second, or fiftieth language.  And, I realized today that when I am contacting a company that conducts their business in English, it would make sense for their customer service employees to have a certain level of proficiency with the English language.  Unfortunately, the person I was chatting with on-line today at Amazon was unable to understand the language she was reading and was equally poor in her typed responses.  It really became a ridiculous exercise in communication (or lack thereof).  After the experience I went onto facebook and saw a friend's post - she was annoyed at not being able to find a body pump class at her gym.  Next, a friend called and the first thing she said was that her socks were falling down and she didn't understand why socks fall down in the first place!  So there you have it - a curious series of annoyances that just built on one another in my mind...and I let them...and that is what I am really annoyed about!  Why do I allow these things to even stir my emotions, let alone set a course for my morning?  So now I am breathing deeply and focusing on what is worth giving my attention to - my art and my peace.  What do you allow yourself to get annoyed at?
Today's card used a kissing technique.  I inked up the bird from Notably Ornate using Sahara Sand ink.  I then took an uninked stamp from Baroque Motifs and pressed it against the inked up bird stamp.  This removed some of the Sahara Sand ink from the bird.  I then pressed the bird stamp onto Very Vanilla card stock and this beautiful bird appeared!  I cut it out with scissors and then mounted it to a small piece of Very Vanilla card stock with dimensionals.  The mini vintage tag was embellished with a word cut out of a book and then added to the card stock with a rhinestone brad.  I then adhered this panel to a piece of card stock that I had sprayed with ink and shimmer paint.  This whole piece was then attached to the Very Vanilla card base using dimensionals.  The final touch was to add some scored lines on the bottom of the card using my scoring board.  I hope you like it!

1 comment:

Lorraine said...

Sounds like one of those days you'd just like to start over. But it looks like you put it behind you and got some great results.