Monday, November 07, 2011

Wax Resist Background With Shimmer Paint Stamping

Today's Lesson From The Craft Room:  I Am Preparing To Hibernate!
As I watch out the window of the craft room, I am noticing a change in the behavior of the birds and squirrels.  It seems everyone is becoming more determined to get as many peanuts and seeds as they can as they begin to feel winter in the air.  I am noticing a similar change in my own behavior as the air begins to chill and the days begin to darken earlier.  I had been doing a wonderful job of curtailing my art supply purchases...until recently.  Michael has even joked that it might be time for an intervention!  I have found myself running to craft stores, art stores and shopping on line.  As I reflect on this recent change in my behavior I realize that I am stocking up for winter.  With the end of the year just around the corner, my work schedule and travel schedule will begin to wind down.  I am anticipating a nice long stretch of time at home - time to create and explore new art techniques and supplies.  So it makes sense to me that I am squirreling away the supplies I will need for my art hibernation :)  Do you find your own behavior changing in any ways as the seasons change?  What do you take with you into hibernation?
Today's card was a progression from a card I shared with you last week during Four Ways Friday.  I had fun using the scoring board with the wax resist technique so I decided to try it again and to step it up!  I started with a piece of Very Vanilla card stock and covered it with Certainly Celery ink with the direct to paper technique.  I then placed the piece on my scoring board and rubbed it with a wax candle.  Next I applied Concord Crush ink (direct to paper) and then used a hot iron to remove the wax from the card stock (I placed the card stock between 2 sheets of scrap paper before heating it with an iron).  I then placed the piece on the scoring board again and rubbed it with the wax candle.  Next I applied Rose Red ink (direct to paper) and once again ironed the piece between 2 sheets of scrap paper to remove the wax.  I then stamped an image from Extreme Elements a few times using Jet Black Staz-On ink.  The stars from Extreme Elements were then stamped using Frost White shimmer paint.  Finally, I added some yellow glitter glue (non SU!) and smooshed it around with my finger.  I let the piece dry and then tore it to use on this card.  The greeting from Just Believe was stamped with Jet Black Staz-On and then punched out using a 1 3/4" circle punch.  I hope you like it!
Here is a close-up of the card stock:

No comments: