Monday, January 16, 2012

Just Because Gift Tag

Today's Lesson From The Craft Room:  Cut It Out, Don't Cut It Down!
When I was walking Buddy the other day, the song Colors Of The Wind from the Disney movie Pocahontas came rushing into my head.  Don't ask why, but they did.  (And I apologize if my mentioning it now means that you will have the song running through your head all day :)  Anyway, there is a line in the song that goes like this, "How high does the sycamore grow?  If you cut it down then you'll never know."  These words kept playing over and over in my head as I walked.  Then I realized why they were nagging at me - it was a very clear message to myself.  I know I have told you this before and here I am telling you this again - I have self-talk that is not always the most supportive or helpful.  I have a tendency to cut myself down quite a bit.  Somehow I'm not good enough or creative enough or _________ enough and my internal self-talk likes to harp on that and I am, well, sick of it!!!!!  So these lyrics came to me as a message - to remind me that if I keep cutting myself down I will never know how high I can grow!  If I can cut it out and stop cutting myself down, then I will be able to realize my potential.  So that's today's lesson from the craft room:  Cut it out; Don't cut it down!!!!  (ps  It is kind of embarrassing to share that I have yucky self-talk.  Somehow I think that I'm the only one who might be walking around the planet like that...but I think I might be wrong.  If you have similar negative chatter in your mind, just think of how much you could grow if you would release that chatter!).
Today's tag accompanied a recent gift to a friend.  I began with a vintage tag that I added some torn pieces of dictionary too.  Then I sprayed and stenciled and stamped the tag.  Then I gessoed it to tone-down some of the writing and sprayed and stenciled and stamped some more!  I created the flower using ribbon and some muslin.  (I'll show you how I made the muslin part in a video tomorrow!).  I sprayed the ribbon flower with a mixture of water and ink so that it would match the tag.  The seam binding ribbon used at the top of the tag was also sprayed.  The large oval from Notably Ornate was stamped (I only inked up part of the image so that I didn't get the words or the lines that are on the stamp).  I punched it out using the large oval punch and adhered it over some seam binding ribbon that I had sewn to the tag using gold metallic thread.  I then added a "banner" of sponged card stock that I had stamped with the greeting from Notably Ornate.
Here is a look at the back of the tag (this may ruin the surprise to the person I just sent this too - oops!  I edited out her name just in case she hasn't received it yet)!  I decorated the back of the tag as I had the front.  The only addition is that I took a piece of transparency/window sheet and cut it to fit most of the back of the tag and then I adhered it to the tag in 2 of the corners using mini glue dots - they are pretty invisible!  I was then able to use a Sharpie marker to write on the transparency.  I love that this allows the collage underneath to show through!  I'm also not too disappointed by my sloppy sewing (my sewing machine got stuck and being the unskilled sewing machine operator that I am, this was the best I could do :).  I like how you can see the bunches of threads.  Playing with tags has really been a lot of fun for me - a nice change from standard cards.  I hope you like it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A friend posted this on Facebook, today, and it made me think of your post: "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others. - Marianne Williamson"

Your creative light is a beacon, Michelle, and it is warm, welcoming and inspiring. It shines, gloriously, in every blog post.

Absolutely beautiful tag. Your friend will cherish it. :-)
--Doris