Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Out On A Whim - Painted Champagne Flutes

Welcome to my first "Out On A Whim" Wednesday!!!!  I decided that for the new year I needed to do something a little bit different - at least one day of the week :)  As you may have noticed, I enjoy dabbling in all kinds of art materials - not just my Stampin' Up! supplies.  So, I've decided to give myself the freedom on this blog to go "out on a whim" every Wednesday and share with you something that is not Stampin' Up! related!  Sometimes I will share projects, sometimes inspiration, sometimes just something that has caught my attention.  While I may incorporate a Stampin' Up! product in a project that I share, I am not putting that limitation on myself!  I hope you enjoy "Out On A Whim" Wednesdays!  Would love your feedback about what you think or what you would like to see!
I had a blast painting these champagne flutes for New Year's!  Michael was at IKEA and these flutes, which are normally about $1 each, were on sale that day for 4/$1!!!!!  Wow!!!!  For that price I could afford to experiment all day with my glass paint!  I used a paint that can be painted on and then baked in your home oven.  After baking, the paints are dishwasher and microwave safe!  To make these glasses I put some paint into small squeeze bottles and then added some thinner to the paints (the thinner is made specifically for use with the paints).  I then squeezed the paint onto the glasses and let it drip down (I had the glasses upside down so that I could paint from the base of the glass to the lip).  For a final touch I added some pearl outliner (also made by the same company) to add some dots to the base of each glass.  I also signed my initials with a glass marker.  Now that I have played around with these glasses, I am on the lookout for anything glass!  I have a feeling that nothing is going to be safe in the house! (except maybe for our windows since I can't fit them in the oven ;)


3 comments:

Amanda Corbet said...

These are gorgeous! I absolutely LOVE the little pearl dots at the bottom. I would totally buy some wine glass from you painted like this! I love the blue/purple one! Absolutely stunning!!!
amanda.c09@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

What an incredible husband you have! I can't get mine into IKEA, let alone have him bring back things for me to play with! The flutes are gorgeous and will, no doubt, bring smiles each time they're used. Love the title of your series..."Out on a Whim". I'm always looking for SU ideas, but it's such a joy to see a true artist at work regardless of materials used. Thank you for this eye candy and inspiration. Your blog is my daily treat. :-) --Doris

Anonymous said...

Those are very cool! If I saw those in a store, I would SO buy them. Great idea, thanks for the share!