Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Out On A Whim Wednesday: Free Motion Sewing Card

Today's Lesson From The Craft Room:  Just Try It!
I had placed pink thread in my sewing machine the other day and somehow the thread color started to inspire me to try to make a love card with some free motion sewing.  Mind you, I have not really tried to write with my sewing machine before.  I have a darning foot that can act as a free motion foot for the machine and I had played with that months ago.  But, I was inspired by a recent dress created by Ruth Rae (you can see it here) and I figured I would try to draw with my needle.  I guess the nice thing about being willing to try things out in the craft room is that I have yet to suffer severe consequences when things don't turn out exactly as planned.  It's not like trying to do something that has life & death consequences!  Yes, you may have a little drama with your inner critic, but beyond that it really isn't too painful :)  So I just tried it - and I'm glad I did!  I could actually read the letters once I was done - not a small feat from my perspective :)
Once I had the letters sewn onto a piece of Whisper White card stock I decided to punch out some hearts with the heart to heart punch.  I then scattered them onto the card stock and sprayed the piece with a mixture of water and Melon Mambo ink and then a mixture of alcohol and Champagne Mist shimmer paint.  Once that dried, I adhered the sprayed hearts to the card with dimensionals.  Finally, I took the entire panel and sewed it to the front of the Whisper White card base.  I hope you like it :)  I very glad I decided to go out on a whim and just try it!

2 comments:

Anna said...

I love what you have done with the sewing and the paint work and then those hearts placed in a differant place on the card, great idea Michelle.

Lorraine said...

You are amazing in how you build your creations. I think you are very daring and your results are so stunning.