Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Out On A Whim Wednesday: Doodle Fabric

Today's Lesson From The Craft Room:  When Was The Last Time You Let Someone Spray You With A Hose?
The Tour de France has one again inspired me to get on my bike and ride!  I always get fired up to ride when I watch these athletes do amazing rides.  Of course, it has been hotter than heck here in Colorado so that has been making riding a bit challenging.  The other day I decided to push myself and by the time I was headed home I was experiencing chills from a bit of overheating.  As I pulled into my driveway, I was beat.  And there, on front of me, was paradise!  My neighbors were outside doing some yard work and one of them was standing on a ladder rinsing off part of the roof.  I got off my bike and got his attention and asked if he would mind pointing the hose in my direction :)  It was AWESOME!!!!!  I remember running through the sprinkler as a kid, but somehow, as an adult, the rooftop watering was even better! :)  When was the last time you let someone spray you with a hose?  Maybe it's time!!!!!
Has the photo made you dizzy yet?! :)  I recently purchased the book Sew Wild by Alisa Burke and I have been totally inspired to try to make my own fabric designs!!!!  This is my first larger piece (I started out making two smaller test pieces).  It's been an interesting journey.  I started out with the small scrap paper you can see on the bottom of the photo.  I sketched out the design there and then decided to create a bigger version.  Along the way I changed the design too - adding some scallops and dots.  It is taking me awhile to complete the fabric piece - which has also been a wonderful exercise for me.  I am so used to completing things quickly that it is quite hysterical to listen as my inner critic pipes up when I am moving at the pace required to complete a piece like this.  I'm learning to just smile at the inner critic when it says things like, "Why are you doing this?  What's the point?  What are you going to do with it anyway?  Look at how long it is taking you!!!!"  Well inner critic, Rome never would have been built if the Romans listened to you :)  Neither would so many beautiful pieces of artwork have come into this world...unless the artists chose to put you on mute and move forward anyway.  I am making that same choice!  Onward and upward!!!!! :)

1 comment:

Lorraine said...

Ahhh, looks like you've been "tangling". Isn't it therapeutic. And I can't wait to see the finished project.