Thursday, December 27, 2012

Orchard Harvest Fabric Inspiration Journal

Today's Lesson From The Craft Room:  Learn By Experimenting
I have always enjoyed watching Donna Downey's Inspiration Wednesdays videos.  I love to watch how she goes about creating and experimenting - she just tries something out and sees what happens!  I have also always admired the books that she does her creating in and I discovered that she makes them herself!  You can purchase them on her website and she also has a tutorial you can purchase for how to make them yourself.  I am not confident in my sewing skills, but decided I would purchase the tutorial and try creating one with the Orchard Harvest fabric.  So, here it is...my first self-made Inspiration Journal :)  I am quite proud of it...in all of its imperfection :)  The instructions left me with a few questions so I did a bit of experimenting.  I have already created a second journal (which I will share later) where I decided to alter a few things - the measurements, the hole size for the inside pages - and I really like how it turned out).  Learning is a process of experimentation - the ability to dive in and tell yourself that it is absolutely fine however it turns out - you are, after all, a student :)  Michael has a quote by Shunryu Suzuki hanging above his desk about Zen practice that I always love to read - it says: In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, in the expert's mind there are few.  Allowing yourself to always be a beginner enables you to approach learning through experimentation.
Here is what the inside of the book looks like:
And here is what my learning and experimenting led me to do on the first pages of the book :)

No comments: