Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Today's Lesson from the Craft Room: Find Inspiration and Comfort in the Words of Others

Above my computer there is a quote that reads Alas for those who cannot sing, but die with all their music in them. Michael has a quote above his computer that says "In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's mind there are few. -Shunryu Suzuki. For both of us, these quotes provide comfort, guidance and inspiration whenever we take the time to read the words and think about what they mean to us. It continues to amaze me how a sequence of shapes and lines - letters and words - can be so powerful - can move us to inspired action or to tears.

So today I created a space to capture some of my favorite words and quotes. I often jot them down onto small pieces of paper, the back of an index card, or mark them with a piece of torn paper in a book - often they get lost or misplaced. Now I have a place to collect them - to refer back to them and appreciate them.

What's your favorite quote? I'd love to hear what words inspire you...I have a feeling they might find their way into my new place for safekeeping :)

No comments: