Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Artistic Etchings Altered CD

Today's Lesson From The Craft Room:  How About Signing Up For An Art Class?
I took what I consider to be a big step today.  I signed up for a 3-hour workshop on book binding!  I am really excited about it!  Somehow I had myself convinced that I could teach myself all I needed to know by reading books, watching videos, and experimenting.  I guess if that was my only option it would suffice.  However, what I realize I'm missing is the human interaction and the ability to have a teacher with me, watching me along the way, helping me in the moment.  I can't even remember when the last time was that I signed up for a workshop/class.  Now it is something I am committing to.  I'll let you know how it goes!  If it goes well, you will likely see some hand bound books in the not-too-distant future :)  What have you been yearning to learn?  Can you take one small step in that direction?  It might just be doing a search for classes in your area or asking artists in your life if they have taken a class on that subject.  Moving in the direction of your goal will take you closer to it! :)
Today's project is an altered CD.  I actually collect quite a few CDs in my work life.  I do a lot of training and I always have a disk with the presentation on it - just in case something crazy happens with the version on my laptop computer!  After the training concludes, the CD is no longer needed.  So, rather than throw it away, I save it and then give it a makeover! :)  Here I used designer paper with gel medium to cover the entire CD.  I embellished it with some paper flowers I made using my scallop circle punch.  (You can see a video of how to make these flowers HERE).  I heat embossed the Eiffel Tower image from Artistic Etchings using black embossing powder and then mounted it on black card stock and cut it out.  I added a bit of Melon Mambo pom-pom trim.  The letters are a combination of alphabet sets - one current one being the Calendar Alphabet & Numbers stamp set.  I used my crop-o-dile to create a hole at the top of the CD and then added a large eyelet and striped ribbon for hanging.  I hope you like it! :)

No comments: