Friday, September 07, 2012

Friday Folds: Every Little Bit Pocket Card

Welcome to Friday Folds!  I have decided to change things up a bit on my blog.  Instead of finding Four Ways Friday on Fridays, you will now find Friday Folds.  On Fridays I will share with you a card or paper project that somehow incorporates a fold...or many folds.  On Tuesdays you can find Two Ways Tuesdays where I will share two ways to use a single stamp.  I hope you enjoy the changes!  I look forward to your feedback!
Today's Lesson From The Craft Room:  When You Conquer Something You Didn't Think You Could, What Was Hard Before Becomes Easier :)
Last Friday we went on quite the bike ride!  I hadn't ridden any hills all summer long and we decided to go and give High Grade a try!  We had heard from friends that it is viewed as the toughest hill ride in the Denver area...good thing I didn't know that as I got on my bike! :)  The scenery was gorgeous and I learned that you can actually stay upright going just under 4 mph on a bike! :)  At times I wanted to give up - a lot of times actually - but somehow I kept telling myself that I could do it - I could conquer that hill before it conquered me.  My legs weren't in pain - I just felt exhausted - as if the wind had been taken out of my sails.  Which it might have been, given the 3000 foot climb in altitude.  But, after push after push on those pedals, I made it!  (And coming down was a ton of fun...and a lot quicker!).  Then, last week, we went out on the bikes again.  This time on a ride that we have done frequently.  It is a ride that has a number of hills that in the past felt challenging.  However, this time, they felt like flat ground!  It was amazing!  Sometimes when you conquer something you didn't think you could, what was hard before becomes so much easier :)  What can you conquer today????
Today's Friday Folds card is a simple way to create a whole new look to a card.  I started with an 8 1/2" x 5 1/2" piece of card stock and scored it down the center.  I then added an extra score line 1 1/4" in from one of the ends.  I folded the card as usual and then folded the 1 1/4" scored side in the opposite direction.  I sewed the edges of the "pocket" down on the sewing machine.  Of course, you can use sticky strip or another adhesive...or even a row of brads...to hold the card together as a pocket.  I stamped the hammer from Every Little Bit using Early Espresso ink all over the card.  Next I stamped the Curly Cute greeting.  I then cut a rectangle of Very Vanilla card stock that would fit in the pocket and stamped it with the hammer and the greeting from Bring On The Cake.  One quick extra tip - I used white thread on the sewing machine and then rubbed the thread on the card with a cotton swab that I had rubbed in the Soft Suede Stampin' Pastel.  You can tone down the brightness of the white thread this way...and not have to change the thread in your sewing machine every time you want to sew on a card.  I hope you have a wonderful weekend filled with creativity, laughter and love!!!!!!

No comments: