Thursday, December 31, 2009

Season of Friendship - Raised Border


Today's Lesson From The Craft Room:  All You Have Is All You Need

Today's lesson is one that comes out of the craft room quite a bit :)  Yesterday we spent time thinking about renovation work we could do on our home.  We talked about different ideas and different costs and I came to the realization that renovating wouldn't "fix" things.  We really have all that we need - we just need to clean and organize.  So we began pulling things out of the kitchen cabinets and filling boxes of items that will be donated.  We already feel better!  One day we may do some renovation, but for now we are going to take better care of the space we have - after all, we have all that we need :)

Today's card was for the Ways To Use It challenge on SCS - the challenge was to make a card inspired by the concept of time.  The card isn't quite what I pictured, but I figured it's part of my process and will hopefully lead to other cards that build on the ideas I used here :)  I'm going with a PMA (positive mental attitude) today! :)  I added a bunch of stitch marks in Old Olive and white gel pen.  The theme of time made me think about the seasons.

Here's how I made the raised border.  First, I cut a square of thin chipboard to the size of the raised border I wanted.  Then I temporarily adhered the square to the back side of the cover of the card.

Then I rubbed the front of the card with was paper to make my embossing stylus slide more smoothly.


I followed the edge of the square (which is underneath the front of the card) with my embossing stylus.

Finally I removed the chipboard from the back side of the front of the card and drew on my faux white stitching.  Hope you like this quick and easy technique for embossing!

1 comment:

jovialjudi said...

What a cool idea! I appreciate you even have pics. I am such a visual person. Do much better seeing things before I try them
I so agree about having all we need. So many people we know have started over with new mortgages for big ole houses with huge taxes and high house payments. It is now just my husband and I and our fur kids at home. And as you say...we have all we need. Don`t mean to sound like I am beating down those who want more...its just that we don`t! Hope you have a wonderful and creative New Year my dear new friend! Hugs to you and yours!!!