Monday, December 28, 2009

Wonderful Woodcuts - Birthday Card


Today's Lesson From The Craft Room:  It's OK To Be Lost Between What We Want And What We Need

I admit it - I've developed an addiction to HGTV!  Not the crafting shows, but all of the house shows...Property Virgins, House Hunters, Bang For The Buck, House Hunters...yes, all of them!  At first I found it incredibly fun and entertaining...and now I have to admit that although I am still addicted, my addiction is sprinkled with a bit of sadness.  I continue to be amazed by how much space 2 people need...or should I say "want."  Here in the States we seem to live by the mantra that "bigger is better."  We want bigger rooms, more space, more stuff, more, more, more.  I'm guilty too (something I am all to keenly aware of as I've been working through cleaning out all the "stuff" in the craft room!).  So now I am a bit lost - between what I want and what I really need.  Do we really "need" bigger bathrooms, bigger bedrooms, media rooms, wine cellars, spa tubs and coffered ceilings?  And if we don't "need" them, is it okay to want them?  Where is the line when our wants are just too excessive and we need to stop?  How do we encourage ourselves to remember that all that we have is really all that we need - or at least prevent ourselves from continuing to have the "more" mentality?  Yes, I'm lost - somewhere between want and need - hopefully I'll find my way home :)

This is a simple card that I put together for Michael's dad - it's his birthday this week!  The image is from a retired SU! set, Wonderful Woodcuts.  I stamped the image two times with Jet Black Staz-On onto watercolor paper and then used my Aqua Painters and ink to color in the main image.  I cut out the main image and popped it up onto the second image for some dimension.  I also used a bit of Crystal Effects to make the water glossy.  Hope you like it!

No comments: